Old March 6th 09, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_15_]

Default Shared cycle path - auditorially distracted pedestro-kretins stepping into the path of cycles

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 13:21:37 -0000, "Light of Aria"
wrote:

I am increasingly concerned / distressed / irritated by fools with
headphones on who meander along shared use cycle paths, whom upon
approaching, I sound the courtesy bells several times, and yet the
pedestrians do not acknowledge one's approach.

If one is proceeding along the green cycle lane, as designated, at
reasonable speed, sounds several courtesy warning bells, displays lighting,
reflective jackets, and white cycle helmets, what is the legal position
should the pedestrian suddenly veer from the pedestrian section into the
path of the cyclist without looking/shoulder checking/life-saver-ing?

I think you've spotted one of the inherant disadvantages in shared use
cycle paths thingys. I tend to avoid them if at all possible.

Can the cyclist sue the pedestrian? Could the pedestrian sue the cyclist.

You can sue. I doubt you would win.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org