Old October 27th 18, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Le Tour 2019

We mustn't forget that it is the business of sports regulators to make rules that level down the competition, so that one or a handful of teams don't win all the time and thereby make the races dull and turn off the public and, with the public, the spout of TV money into the sports body's coffers. That said, French regulators are something else again.

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 5:36:39 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
It's a climbers race with fewer TTs to slow the Sky train. My son is convinced the course was picked to favor a Frenchman like Bardet or Alaphilippe or Thibaut Pinot. The mountain top finish on the Bastille Day stage is in Bardet's home town.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. The French have a long, inglorious, history of rewriting the rules at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, an automobile race, to give a French team the victory, preferably a French équipe based in Le Mans itself. Why not in cycling, in which the French are even more xenophobic -- remember when they spat on Eddie Merckx, who was a Belgian, the next best thing to a Frenchman?

Andre Jute
Not all sporting history is nostalgic