Old October 30th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 4:32:49 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:27:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html

What struck me about that story -- what ALWAYS strikes me about such
stories, unfortunately -- is that it said that the would-be killer was
charged with reckless driving and fined, but there isn't a word
anywhere about buying a new bike or reimbursing Australia's national
medical-care system.

I don't even hope to see a miscreant asked to pay the non-medical
expenses caused by an injury.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

And like everywhere else in the world the punishment NEVER fits the crime that motorists commonly commit against other road users. I was riding up Niles Canyon which has become a commute highway despite it being only two lanes and there also being a gravel quarry at the eastern end. There is a narrow RR bridge and as I approached it I pulled to the center of the lane. A gravel truck came around a turn behind me and seeing me his stomped on the gas. I made it through the narrows and pulled over to the side and over so that the bridge protected me. This double came under that bridge at over 60 mph. Since the road swerves under that bridge he almost lost control of it and the rear trailer was weaving back and forth across the road so strongly that it took up the entire road. Had there been a car or worse yet, another truck coming the other way there would have been a HUGE collision. This was in my mind attempted murder. But I had no way of identifying that truck since it was completely covered with gravel dust. I couldn't even see what color it was. But there were cars behind him that might have reported him because those trucks are the most polite in the Canyon now.