Old October 31st 18, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Crash Coregan

On 10/30/2018 6:48 PM, wrote:
Last Sunday I was riding down the road nearing the suburb of Fremont called "Niles". This is where Charley Chaplin made most if not all of his movies. In any even I had missed my medication the morning before and had to take a double dose that evening. So this morning when I took my medication I was still a bit overdosed.

I was riding along and perhaps not paying a great deal of attention as I approached a new overpass with a good bike lane on it. The section I was on was rough road but not horrible. Suddenly I was thrown up in the air and my main concern was not hitting my head on the curb. I managed to fall on my entire right side.

I was totally confused, I had struck my head but lightly since my body absorbed most of the impact and my head just slapped down on the asphalt. But there hadn't been anything in the road to do that!

I was trying to get up and some driver stopped and was helping me up. He must have been a cyclist because he was putting the chain back on the crankset since it had fallen off.

I said something along the lines of "What in the hell did I hit." And he said that a pine cone had fallen out of a tree and bounced from my right side under the front wheel. I hope I thanked him for his help but I was too confused to remember. I immediately turned around and came back before the pain set in.

That was a completely new one on me. I can't remember ever having a pine cone fall near me in all my years of riding. Though that might be lost in my concussion memory.

In any case my right side is REALLY sore. My right hip sustained some road rash but just barely and the Pearl Izumi's didn't get any visible damage. Good thing since they are top of the line and my favorites. After I get back from a ride I can sit down for awhile without getting sweat buildup and sores in my crotch before a shower. None of the others will do that, it's straight into the shower no matter how hard you've ridden.

Now I can't sleep well since I normally lay on my right side. And I managed to hurt my shoulder a little more from the bad sleep. I'll sure be glad when this heals up.

It reminds me of that insurance commercial where the squirrel is throwing pine cones at someone's car.

Sorry to hear about the crash, Tom. Hope you heal quickly.

--
- Frank Krygowski