Old November 1st 18, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Nashbar P-Handle Wrenches -- and thank you Royal Mail

On 2018-11-01 16:12, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 2:11:17 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot
wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 3:07:51 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
My Shimano setup only hops one cog per click towards higher
gears (smaller cogs) which is ok. Only two per upshift and that's
often not enough. On my old road bike I can go from one extreme
on the cassette to the other in less than 2sec while
simultaneously shifting the front. Both with one hand.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

And where you have to remove one hand from the handlebar in order
to make ANY shift. Most people who ride with an regularity can
shift across an entire 11 speed cassette whether road or mtb in
less than two seconds.

I doubt that, having seen other high-mileage riders clicki-di-clack
through the gears with brifters.

And we've been through this with Joerg before. If DT friction
shifting were superior, then every pro would use them -- regardless
of sponsor driven component choices.
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...overups-50491/

And we're not talking mountain bikes since they have thumb shifters
or grip shifters. This is about DT friction shifters on ROAD BIKES.

Some people use those offroad.

The only time I wish I could shift faster to a lower gear/bigger cog
on a road bike is when I start in my big ring and small cog because I
just changed a flat. The obvious solution is to put the bike into a
reasonable gear before getting on it. Moreover, I would be (and was)
no better off with friction shifters -- which often performed poorly
under load. Trying to shift the whole cassette or freewheel while
applying a lot of torque was a recipe for putting the chain into the
spokes.

I also dumped friction shifters when Shimano introduced 7 speed SIS.

That, of course, would be preferable but I still like to have the shift
handles for faster extreme shifts. Just like I prefer stick-shift in cars.

I still had DT shifters, but you didn't have to fiddle for a gear in
a narrower spaced cassette. You just clicked into it like a
Fisher-Price toy. You would have to have pretty well calibrated
fingers to friction shift between narrow-spaced 11 speed cassette
cogs -- but then again, I've never tried and don't intend to. And I
understand that a lot of gears is stupid according to the friction
set -- which is another place we part company.

5-6 cogs in back and 3 up front fully suffices for me if they are spaced
coarsely enough. My dream would be just two in front and a 11-40 in back
but with no more than 7 cogs. I might some day hack one together for my
road bike. I rode it with hacked cassettes for a while.