Old September 26th 04, 02:21 AM
Luke

In article
, Peter S
wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I've checked the pics on Sheldon's site. My
frame has 'short horizontal dropouts' so I'll proceed with this project.

On another note, is there any reason to NOT use the 39 tooth inner ring as
the chainwheel for a fixed wheel conversion so long as the appropriate rear
cog is used? I'd like to not blow the budget on this project while I build
and learn!

Thanks

Nothing wrong with the 39t chainring.

I'm running 48/17 chainring/cog combination. At times this is a bit
much for me - even living in relatively flat Toronto.

Regarding the relation between chainring and cog: I prefer a
combination whereby the number of chainring teeth are not evenly
divisible by the number of teeth on the cog. (For instance, I avoid a
48/16 ring/cog setup.) This more evenly wears the ring, cog and chaing
as, with each wheel revolution, the position of the cog vis-a-vis the
chainring changes, allowing different cog teeth to bear the force of
each downward pedal stroke.

luke