Old September 6th 17, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Gluing Tread on a Tubular Casing

Ancient thread!

Here's a link to info on Dugast tires that seems to be from a French Canadian shop. It has a brief section about how to remove tread from a casing. http://www.thecyclery.ca/dugast/

I've heard that elites do this. It sounds like it could be fun to mess around with! Everything in the world of elite tubies boils down to craft and art. I've made all sorts of nutty repairs on mine that have held up. Sometimes a tire is so sweet that it's worth it -- and I bet it'll often be a CX tubie!

JeffOYB

On Friday, January 23, 2009 at 9:28:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, I am going to attempt to re-tread a tubular tire, anyone got any
ideas about that? What is the best way to remove an old tread and
what kind of glue will stick a new tread (from a clincher) to a
casing.
I am hoping to remove a dried, cracked tread from a Challenge
Cyclocross tubular and then glue the tread from a Specialized or Kenda
clincher tire to the casing.
I have heard rumors that A. Dugast performs this service and I have
seen some custom tubulars so I know it is possible.
Cheers,
Simon