Old August 9th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Sunscreen for bicycling

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 15:05:21 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/9/2018 3:37 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 6:13:10 AM UTC+2, news18 wrote:
On 09/08/18 10:05, bob prohaska wrote:
Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while bicycling?
I've been using a stock of TopCare SPF30, but it's running out and I
don't particularly like the odor and texture of the stuff.

Something non-greasy, so it won't crud up clothes, and easily washed
off after a ride would be desirable. It only needs to last a couple hours.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.
No recommendation to brand, but do you really need to wear so much of it.
Here in Australia, max I ever applied was nose, tips of ears and in
summer; behind the knees. If you're riding regularly into spring, your
skin just tans slightly over time with out the burn of a rare sunny day.

The only person I met for who this wasn't sufficent was albine(not PC),
wh wore long cottons for 3 seasons ans stayed indoor for Summer.

It is not only about preventing a sun burn but also to prevent skin cancer.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN10F2ID

That article seems to be more of an explanation as to why statistical
evidence of the effectiveness of sun creams doesn't exist. In part:

"Reuters Health) - There isn't much evidence to conclusively prove
that daily sunscreen use can prevent most skin cancers, a research
review concludes.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't use sunscreen, doctors say. It just
means it's unethical to do experiments testing the effectiveness of
sunscreen by randomly assigning some people to use it and others to
skip it.