Old September 17th 05, 11:12 PM
Mike Kruger

Default Speed averages between trail riding and road riding

"Brian Walker" wrote in message
I've been riding for a couple years now. I started out on trails/tracks
and finally got bored enough with those that I began venturing out on the
road. Since that time, I've noticed my averages went up considerably.

Alternative explanations abound. You might be getting in better shape. The
trails might be twisty, or crowded with dog walkers. (etc.)

Still, it's your subjective experience that traffic gets your adrenaline
pumping, and you might be right. I'm not arguing with your conclusions, just
commenting on other possibilities.

If so, it's probably time to join a bicycle club, since the right group ride
will definitely be able to improve your speed.

I've even noticed when I'm out riding late at night when the traffic
isn't out, I tend to ease off the hard riding.

I think, though, almost everybody rides slower at night. For one thing, you
can't see as well no matter what lighting system you use.

... Does anyone have opinions to whether it's better to get into heavy
traffic or just isolated traffic?

Lots of us dislike heavy traffic and spend a lot of time planning routes to
minimize it.
(except for the guys in that "Drag Race NYC" video).