Old February 27th 19, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years
old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums
up the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in
software design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_D8r-2hwk

Sometimes those things happen for reasons Tom mentioned. People using
library modules that others have written, assuming everything in those
we be just fine. And then things aren't.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer gear with the least amount of
electronics and software in there and, for example, will never be caught
with electronic shifters on a bicycle.

I am saying this as an engineer who designs electroncics.

I have Ultegra Di2 on my super rain bike Synapse. Works great except that I broke the rear derailleur wire being careless cleaning the bike in a wash stand. I soldered the broken wire and shrink-wrapped it. I also bought a new wire, but the repair seems to be working fine.

The problem with Di2 -- or maybe just 11sp -- is that chain wear beyond .5% but below .75% really degrades shifting. Down-shifts hang up. I threw on a new chain last night, and now it shifts great. I didn't think I had that much mileage on the chain, but I guess I did. I bought a couple $19 11sp 105 chains from Western Bikeworks for back-ups.

The great thing about Western is that if you buy $50, it's free shipping, but if you pick up in store, its $5 off. I can ride to the store on my way home from work and save $5, although not today because it snowed, and I slacked-off and car-pooled with my son.

-- Jay Beattie.

SRAM says their new 12 system has bigger chain rollers &
rivets. For which you need a new chain tool.

And for which they have a chain company. Tres convenient. I wonder how many of the chain manufacturers are going to follow them down that rabbit hole. If Shimano is true to form, it will wait a year and then announce its 12sp -- which will probably have a different chain format. I'm giving up chains and going with the Ceramic Speed cheese grater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgo-yEaXDzA

-- Jay Beattie.