Old March 6th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Designers vs. engineers

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 3/6/2019 1:12 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Zen Cycle wrote:
:
: :A good friend of mine is a general contractor that builds private homes for a living. He says the worst people he has to deal with are architects.
:
: Architects and engineers say the same thing about contractors.

:I suppose it's about different priorities. The contractor wants to get
:the job done quickly so he can get paid and move on to the next project.
:But ISTM that these days, lots of architects want to express their
:sculptural talents, no matter how difficult it is for the contractor.

:One of my best friends and his little company expanded our house, adding
:a shed dormer to the upstairs of our little Cape Cod. I did most of the
:design work, but had an architect do the details and draw it up.

:Anyway, I specified thicker walls and extra insulation. My friend kept
:asking "Are you _sure_ you want that?" Especially when framing and
:finishing the windows, it was more work for him. But I held out, and
:remain glad.

A buddy redid his basement. much of the specifications were about
noise reduction. Walls were to be done with 2x6 top and bottom plates, but
2x4 studs. the studs were staggered, so that the first one was flush
with one edge, and the next stud was flush with the opposite edge.
Drywall was two layers, hung on resilliant channel, and glued together
with special glue. He caught the framers using regular 2x6 walls.
then the drywallers hung regular drywall directly to the studs. The
GC blamed the subs, but the drywallers claimed they were never told it
was anything unusual. I don't know if the GC was just stupid, or were
actively cutting corners, but they should have realized that someone
who gives them drawings like that is going to check. they did give
the electricians the drawings that showed were every outlet and switch
box went (again, weirdlly speced to lower nois transmission.)

--
sig 25