Old March 7th 19, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Designers vs. engineers

On 3/6/2019 9:11 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 16:12:10 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But then, the rest of the exhibition seems to glorify the 1950s and
1960s as an era of "good design." Weird.

Such museum exhibits are concept bicycles that were actually built.
Most never make it off the drawing board (or computah screen).
https://www.google.com/search?q=concept+bicycles&tbm=isch
Among the few that can actually be built, even fewer are actually
rideable by humans. So, why do designers continue to product
impractical artistic bicycle creations? Because, like concept
automobiles, nobody is going to manufacture the entire concept bicycle
in its original form. However, they will borrow or steal parts,
pieces, and ideas that might be useful.

When I was a teenager, I had a friend who was a) very much into hot
rods, and b) quite a good cartoonist. He was always drawing totally
impractical but "cool" looking cartoon cars.

I figure a lot of the concept bicycles are part of the same genre. They
look cool. Nobody wants anything more from them.

More generally: Whenever I see some physical object that seems to make
no practical sense, I assume it must qualify as art. Most of the time I
seem to be right.

--
- Frank Krygowski