Old October 29th 14, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Taking the Lane In Front of Big Rigs

Clive George writes:

On 29/10/2014 19:35, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

When I look into my mirror I do so with both eyes and do not need to turn my head to look behind me.

I've been following this little subthread with some amusement. Do I
guess right that you use a bar-mounted mirror? Frank and Joe are
talking about eyeglass mounted mirrors - I'd expect it to be
impossible to use them with both eyes.

He previously said it was helmet mounted. I didn't think the location
would be much different from an eyeglass mounted mirror, but don't know.
Is it convex? That might allow seeing the same thing with both eyes,
but would hurt the depth perception.

As Frank has noted, the binocular effect is probably not significant for
judging distances of overtaking vehicles. I just returned from driving
a car. My left outside mirror is adjusted so that I have to move my
head to the left to see straight behind me. I notice that, when using
it, I normally just move far enough so that my left eye can see the
lane.

--
Joe Riel