Old January 24th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default half broke a chain..

Igor was giving me issues on the way back from picking #2 up from his
youth club. I thought the timing chain had been getting a bit slack so
didn't think it would be much of a problem, except for a periodic
jumping, and a far too frequent unshipping of the timing chain (like it
unshipped it several times in a mile instead of maybe once per hundred)

So I started adjusting the kiddy crank mobile bottom braket (my means
of timing chain adjustment ;-) and discovered my 'magic link' was not
so magic, but had decided to crack in half. I had been using the
assymmetrical ones becasue I happened to have some, the sort with two
pins and you bend them a bit to fit into the plate with two holes,
unlike the sram ones which have a pin and hole on each piece (ie
symmetrical.) The plate had cracked right through, still keeping the
chain joined but putting a bit of a kink in it.

Anyway, easily remidied, but the one I have relaced it with seems to
have a bit of play in. I'll have to pop by the LBS tomorrow and get
some decent ones.

...d