Old June 12th 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

Default 17 years olds and priority

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 4:59:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
So my 17 year old's bike a cross bike is see in garage with wheels off and tire off rim. What Happen I ask him and he says tires popped? Ok where are the skewers. I don't know. Well go find them now we need them. After awhile no finding he says they are like a $5 part so what.

I patch the tubes for the 2nd time they are fine hold air. No skewers to hold tire on bike and I am getting irritated no responsibility. He has this attitude that so what and now I am thinking he can cough up the skewers and the cash. I go to the trouble of patching tubes because it gets the job done for pennies and this crap.

Rant on

Deacon mark

By age 17, my Dad had me trueing my own wheels. Probably by 13 or 14, he handed down his old spoke wrench to me and showed me how to straighten out my rear wheel after I had a fall on my 1972 Schwinn Continental that I bought with savings from my paper route. Oiling the chain was about not using the right amount of his can of 3 in 1 oil that the chain got oil without any dripping on the driveway. Still have his 1940's patch kit with dried out patches inside, attached to his 1946 Schwinn B6 Phantom cruiser with the locking steerer tube and we just won WWII HarleyDavidson-ish green/white with red hand pinstriped paint scheme. August 1945 frame serial number date, cost $25 in 1946, as my great-grandfather's 13th birthday present to him. Dad also showed me the oil hole for the New Departure rear coaster brake hub, and I've ridden it enough to experience why the New Departure did need oiling.

Taking care of your own bike should be a no-brainer, what else are you supposed to do?