Old February 1st 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

Default DuraAce 7800 brakes v. 6600 brakes

On Jan 31, 8:42 am, wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:51 pm, RS wrote:

I traded some stuff for a new set of DuraAce 7800 brakes, got a good
deal. Question is will these really work any better, stop any quicker,
"feel" any better than the current set of Ultegra 6600 brakes I have
on my bike - which I think work fine. I'd like to hear from anyone
who has actually tested or ridden both sets. The 15g-20g difference
in weight I don't care about. Thanks

I doubt that you will feel much of a difference between the two
assuming your cable, housing and pad set-up are the same. Technically
dura-ace has bearings in both pivots were as ultegra has a bearing
only in the main pivot. Other than that it is mostly material
difference, finish, and a small amount of weight that separates the
two brakes.

Steve Sauter

I won't check that Shimano does this; but they likely do, in common
with Campag and SRAM Put ball bearings in there in place of a plain
bushing. Look for an exploded diagram.
The finish should be better. After all, it is hard to tell Ultegra
apart from 105 without the paint, once two more dimensions of
adjustment to the brake pad angle were included in the 105 a couple of
years ago to mark an improvement over the previous year's model.

Harry Travis