Old March 11th 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default The death of rim brakes?

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 5:57:12 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/11/2019 3:28 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 3:40:09 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/11/2019 3:30 PM, jbeattie wrote:
I think discs would be an easy sale to the mountain-climbing clydesdales using CF rims and tubulars.

That's true and very reasonable.

But you're never going to save the bicycling industry with that kind of
reasonable talk!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Remember back in the days when MTB and touring bicycles cantilevers stuck straight out from the mounting post? IIRC it was Minoura that made a rear rack with a metal hoop that fitted over the cantilever so that saddle bags wouldn't hold the cantilever against the rim. At that time a b icycle with disc brakes would have been very attractive id buyng a new bike.

I also remember reading about disc brakes that one has to be very creful when removing a wheel shortly after using the brakes as the parts can fuse together if the brake lever is accidentally squeezed.
I do see a number of MTB in Canadian Tire stores coming with disc brakes now. I wonder what quality those brake parts are?

If interested here's a link to CT NTB bikes.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/sport...ain-bikes.html

Cheers

Just like cars and motorcycles, applying hydraulic brake
force with no rotor can allow piston to travel too far.
Nothing 'fuses', it just mangles piston seals. This is not
magic, not unique to bicycles and not new. If you're
concerned, get cable actuated discs.

I'm OK with any brake format - all have their features &
foibles - but let's not make things up.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

First off I did not MAKE this up. It was something I read about some time ago. Secondly, iirc it was to do with CABLE actuated disc brakes not hydraulic ones.

Cheers