Old March 14th 19, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 2019-03-10 06:34, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically
all disc
brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone
but maybe I
am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look
and
certainly for a long time parts will be around but are
these rim
brakes a dead deal.

Disc brakes are simply better. Take a look around around
automotive and motorcycles. How many new cars and
motorcycles are there that still have drum brakes in front?

On Sunday I experienced the umpteenth reminder why rim
brakes are inferior. We had to cross some unpaved area on
the road bikes and it had rained. Muddy. Afterwards a
descent on pavement, I reached in and after the usual and
expected one-second of zero brake action the rim brakes came
on. There was an awful grinding noise, you could literally
hear aluminum being eaten.

If I ever need a new road bike it will have disc brakes or I
won't buy.

How many new bicycles have drum brakes? Vanishingly few.

This was just meant as an example. Bicycles have largely
remained in the stone age, like chuck wagons where a chunk
of wood pressed against the steel ring of the wheels to
brake. So bicycles kind of skipped a technology.

Supposedly there are bikes used for a long downhill ride in
Hawaii that all have large drum brakes because anything else
would overheat.

Well, technically not as efficient as a larger disc though.

IIRC they were really big drum brakes, not the usual standard fare. More
like what you'd see on older mopeds.

p.s. My fixed gear bike with single SP caliper up front would attract no
attention on the street 100~120 years ago and works (goes & stops) fine
for me. Maybe not for you.

I had one of those as a kid. It's ok for city riding. However, despite
promising my mom never to do that I took it out onto clandestine
motocross tracks in the forest and there it wasn't performing so great.
On a rainy day it could be scary.

Currently I have hydraulics and 8" rotors front and back on my MTB. Best
bicycle brake system I ever had. Works all the time regardless of
weather. Even on pavement it has saved me from a crash into the side of
a Porsche when its %^@#!! driver cut me off. That was due to the absence
of the usual 1-2sec "free-fall" of rim brakes during rain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/