Old May 2nd 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cyclist assaulted in Sheffield

"Simon Geller" wrote in message
Long-term subscribers to this list may recall the case in December 2005
where a cyclist was assaulted in Sheffield. The victim reported the case
via the CTC forum when looking for advice as to how to proceed, and it got
forwarded amongst the various cycling fora. A number of posters on this
list suggested that this incident did not ring true and must have been
made up.

The case has now come to court and was reported in the Sheffield Star
on April 27th. A scan is available at
http://www.pedalpushers.org.uk/resources/star.gif
and back issues are available from the Star offices at
York Street, Sheffield, S1 1PU, 0114 276 7676

I trust therefore that the posters who alleged that this story had been
fabricated will now recognise that they were wrong and apologise for the
distress they have caused to the victim, his family and friends.

Simon Geller
Pedal Pushers Sheffield Cycle Campaign.

I remember it being brought up, I remember thinking that it sounded
incredible. I've just had a quick re-read of the original thread, and yes
there were one or two who voiced an opinion of whether this was fact or
fiction. Then someone posted that he knew the bloke and correlated the
story.

The whole point was this story did sound *incredible*. (Definition: So
implausible as to elicit disbelief).

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewAr...icleID=1476452

It was a terrible incident, and my best wishes to Andrew. The courts
decision was insulting based on the crime. I'm not really sure how these
weekly payments are to be made, but the victim will now have to have some
sort of contact with the *criminal* for the next five years. Disgraceful.