Old September 9th 18, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

No time to write this week, so here's a ride report.

Weather Underground said there was a reasonable chance that I wouldn't
get rained on if I got home by twelve.

The weather has suddenly changed from to hot that my jersey gets so
wet that I need help getting out of it to just a mite chilly, so I
wasn't all that cheerful about getting rained on.

but I really, really wanted to go to the markets today, so I decided
to gamble.

I thought it was crack-candy day, but it was goat's milk day instead.
Also some cookies, but I didn't buy any of those despite having
breakfasted on a fig bar and a handful of pills in the interest of
getting back sooner.

In deference to the rain, I skipped the stop at International Foods.
We are completely out of New Zealand corned beef, but it took me six
months to get around to using that can, and I have nearly half of it
left. Not to mention that International Foods should be a leisurely
stroll, not a dash-and-grab.

Corned-beef-and-eggplant lasagna is surprisingly good; I bought four
more little eggplants, but we are almost out of shredded mozzarella
seasoned with romano, asiago, and parmesan. And completely out of
lasagne; perhaps I could make eggplant parmesan, eking out the
"Italian-style" cheese with swiss cheese and cheddar. I've never
liked eggplant parmesan, but I've never had it made with *small*
eggplants, that were simply sliced and fried in olive oil, rather than
huge thick slices elaborately processed, then breaded.

I bought four eggplants and three boxes of tiny tomatoes at the
fairgrounds market, then went to Carneciaria San Jose for salsa
mexicana, but they were still out. I did buy three kinds of refried
beans. More-or-less straight to the courthouse market, where I bought
a pint of milk. Railroad construction and one-way alleys complicated
the path. (The Norfolk-Southern line runs down the middle of Hickory
Street, and they recently changed the rails. And some utility has
taken advantage of the disruption to lay a new main of some sort.

And the Buffalo Street Project complicated the trip back. I stayed
rather longer at the Safety Day than I should have, and didn't see as
much as I would have liked.

I've walked from the Library to Central Park before, but I was
confused trying to find my way from Central Park to the library. Took
longer than it should have to get out of the park, because I couldn't
ride on the walkways when the place was jammed with small children who
might kill themselves following my example.

I wasn't amused by the book sale when I got there -- partly because I
was anxious to get home before the rain. One of the Friends of the
Library mentioned that she had a cart of graphic novels in the
book-sale room, waiting their turn for the mini-sale.

I wanted to have lunch at Chinatown Express; last week I had a bowl of
superb vegetable soup there, and I wanted to try one of the others --
not to mention that I'd had only a fig bar for breakfast. But it was
threatening to rain and it took me forty-five minutes to eat that
vegetable soup on my previous visit.

Back across Hickory Street, walking because I was on Main now, which
is one way the wrong way. But it's only a half block from Detroit to
a street that leads to Fort Wayne, which is one-way my way.

The cottonwood leaves on the board walk made me nervous even though
there was enough boardwalk showing to make it unlikely that there was
a slimy layer underneath -- the doctors (four so far) who are trying
to put me back together would be quite cross if I were to slip and
fall.

At Owen's, a dash-and-grab for a gallon of milk and a pound of butter
took me nearly twenty minutes, and it was 12:56 when I came out. It
started to rain while I was mounting up, but I was only speckled when
I got home at 13:09, so though I didn't win my bet, I didn't lose.

Posted without editing.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net