Old October 2nd 03, 12:46 AM
Roger Zoul

Default buying my first road bike

Tanya Quinn wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::: The Specialized Sequoia might be to your liking, as they have two
::: sets of
::: break handles, above the drops and on the top...
::
:: Cool, the guy at the bike store didn't mention anything about bikes
:: with dual brake handles. This seems useful, and I imagine if I found
:: a
:: different bike I liked better I could have the brake levers switched
:: to these?

I would guess....one thing to note...there is less room on the bars because
of those extra brake handles...I have a computer and a light on mine, but
just a slight bit of room to spare. Not sure if a bigger more powerful
light would fit. Just something to think about.

::
:::
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFami...m3go4fr.j27004
:::
::: The Sequioa have comfort features built in which you may appreciate.
::
:: Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. The 56 cm seemed to be a good
:: height and the sequoia only comes in 54 or 57 but I imagine one of
:: these might also work okay.
::
::: Get lots of gears if you will be riding on roads with lots of
::: hills...(21 to 27 -- 3 chainrings on the front)
::
:: Yup I want 3 chainrings.
::
::: Make the LBS order you a bike that fits perfectly....wait on it to
::: come...
::
:: I'd really love a custom-fitted Airborne Carpe Diem tourer but
:: decided
:: it was definitely out of my price range.
::

Well....

::: Consumer Reports recommends these models for "long, demanding road
::: trips"
:::
::: Bianchi Eros ($1050USD)
::: Klein Q-Carbon ($1400USD)
::: Lemond Tourmalet ($1100USB).
:::
::: They called them "well-rounded" choices.
:::
::: Honestly, I don't have a clue if you can trust their expertise,
::: however.
::
:: I guess I just need to test ride a bunch of different types of bikes
:: by different companies. There's a bike show coming up locally in a
:: few
:: weeks and I'm hoping to hold out until then to check out a variety of
:: vendors all in one spot, compare deals, etc. But I'm hoping to have
:: it
:: narrowed down to a few candidate bikes before I go.

Right. Ride, ride, and ride some more before you buy. Try to go to the LBS
a different times....traffic conditions can be very different a different
times of day, changing the parking lot ride a lot. Also, be sure to check
out more than one LBS and talk to the support people who you likely will be
dealing with for future service. You need to like and get along with these
people. If they seem like a*sholes, shop elsewhere.