Old September 8th 19, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Sirect Mount Brakes?

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 13:21:37 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/8/2019 10:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 4:41:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, September 7, 2019 at 11:43:45 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 3:50:25 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/6/2019 4:42 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 1:23:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 6:16:13 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
I am seeing more and more manufacturers coming out with "direct mount brakes". Howe are these any different than any other rim brake?

Stiffer and more aero.

Lou

That's not an answer Lou, that is an attribute.

I can't tell by looking at them if they mount differently or are merely activated differently.

It's a combination of two things.

One is the French randonneur centerpulls with brazed pivots
from The Olden Days:
https://16incheswestofpeoria.files.w...01/dsc0496.jpg

Which was, at the time, an actual innovation.

The other is 'the stuff we sold you last year is no good.
Here's the new one'.

Direct caliper mounting:
https://www.tririg.com/images/store/..._Store_322.jpg

Direct mount caliper:
https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Com...ct_mount_brake

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I suppose that bracket attaches in the weird manner to the carbon fork so that they don't have to mold in hard mounts. That was what was confusing me and that sort of clears it up. Thanks.

Huh???? For direct mount brakes you need two mold ins. That bracket is an adapter to attach a normal brake to a fork for direct mount brakes.

Lou

And that's an adapter for a rather unique brake. https://www.tririg.com/images/store/..._Store_323.jpg

That is a rather unique brake. About as unique as the Shimano AX:
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...d0809&Enum=117

I enjoy occasionally browsing through _The Data Book_, which is mostly a
collection of drawings of then-new bike components from the 1920s
through the 1960s or so. There are countless different brake designs
illustrated. It goes a long way toward proving there's nothing much new
under the sun, at least in mechanical bike parts.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Nice brakes those AX ones are. I have two pairs of Dura Ace AX and two pairs of Adamas AX and like them very much.

Cheers