View Single Post
Old September 8th 19, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 3:02:25 PM UTC-7, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 2:52:55 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
In other words, both Tom and AK are pointing out that bike lanes aren't
the wonderful paradise that so many people claim.

There's also the (sadly common) phenomenon of drivers using the bike lane as their personal parking space or turn lane. Even the police park in the bike lane in front of their station near my work. So there's no enforcement.... PERIOD.
This, plus the lack of snow-plowing and debris removal are the reasons I'm not a bike lane fan. I think when *traffic* (cars, trucks and bikes are "traffic") follows the rules, everyone can get along.

Yes, we do have that problem but usually it is a temporary event or a loading and unloading. I can think of ONE road around here in which cars will park in the bicycle lane and that is because it is a place that goes from no parking to parking and the bicycle lane doesn't move over at the same time. This only is for about 100 yards.

We are bicyclists and not holy men. We go a LOT slower than the speed of normal traffic in most cases and we have to understand that and stay out of the way as much as is SAFE. I have no problems taking a lane when necessary but I also have no problems allowing traffic to pass in narrow areas such as mountain roads or narrow side streets where there isn't much room. Drivers who see this a couple of times realize that you are giving them room on purpose and grow to appreciate it. These people tend to pass more safely - respect is shown where respect is earned.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home