Old September 12th 19, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

On 9/11/2019 7:07 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Oh, I also find it interesting and amusing that you so dislike bicyclists who say to ride to the right of a lane yet you say this person should not have been on the road at all but should have been riding on the shoulder.

To correct your beliefs about my views:

1) You seem to forget the dozens of times I've pointed out that I share
lanes that are wide enough to share.

2) I don't "dislike cyclists who say to ride to the right of a lane."
Some lanes are fine for sharing. But riding too far right can be
hazardous, and I don't think a person should endanger themselves by
tempting motorists to squeeze by.

3) I have done hundreds of miles on wide shoulders, especially when
riding freeways in the western U.S. There are sometimes legal
complications - one cycling lawyer of my acquaintance believes that a
shoulder cyclist may be forfeiting his rights if (say) a motorist pulls
out across his path, right hooks or left crosses him. The logic is that
in most jurisdictions, those would be offenses if the rider were in the
roadway; but the shoulder is not part of the official roadway.

I don't know much about that legal argument. But in certain cases, I
think the shoulder is the best place to be. The video shows one example.

In summary, I'm not saying anything here that I haven't said a dozen
times before. You're imagining an argument that doesn't exist.

--
- Frank Krygowski