Old September 12th 19, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 20:48:37 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/11/2019 6:40 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 15:32:49 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 18:22:18 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 09:42:30 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 11/09/2019 12:46 a.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 00:01:43 UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 09:05:29 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

I wonder if there's a market for a "Google Glass" type of thing
w/ a back-facing camera displayed on a forward screen full time.
Hmm.

pH in Aptos

Rear view bicycle cameras already exist:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+rear+view+camera&tbm=isch
You might also consider an automotive dashboard camera, which usually
has a rear view camera included.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

A good rear-view camera can really help if this happens. Frank will say the bicyclist should have been lane center but I don't think that would have helped in this case.

youtube.com/watch?v=QYMKp71vW-I

Cheers

My riding buddy, the paramedic installed a go pro on his bike for his
commute. He was getting tailgated, close passes etc. He planned to use
it to report idiots to his buddies at the police station. But found
that driver stopped most of the bull**** behavior. He thinks it's the
camera. So maybe just a fake camera would help? g

There was a "study" done in England (I think) that found the absolute
best defense against aggressive autos was a jacket with "POLICE"
printed on the back :-)

Frank lives in Ohio which is devoid of much of a cycling presence. When
cyclists are unique occurrences that astound and confound the unwashed
masses perhaps they are too shocked to pass and this gives him the
impression that he is in fact controlling the road. Seems to also work
on cops, preventing them from ticketing him for impeding.

Here in Montreal, it's a bit different. C
https://globalnews.ca/news/5760125/m...-tickets-2018/

--
cheers,

John B.

That'd get you charged with impersonating a police officer. LOL

Cheers

Although that isn't the point the test actually misspelled "police" on
the jackets for that reason.

The point of the study was, of course, to determine whether most
autos are aware of what is going on the highway act in response to
actual conditions.

Which the study deemed was the fact.

For example the study found that cars gave a bicycle much more room
when passing when the rider was wearing his jacket than when the same
rider was not wearing his jacket.

On another forum, a person posted that he seemed to get much more abuse
from motorists when he was decked out in sport cycling garb compared to
when he rode in normal clothing.

I can't say I've noticed that, personally, but I can imagine some
drivers might be triggered by certain stereotypes.

I suspect that a lot of it is perception. I read here a lot about
being passed too closely but, honestly, I've never been passed closely
enough that I remembered it by the end of the ride.

Not to say it never happens but it has never happened to me. And I do
ride on major highways. Right next to the big 20 wheel trucks. You
know, the guys that get blamed for not seeing the bicycle way back
there next to the trailer.

Can it be that people here are just more friendly? I doubt it. Road
rage is very common here, just the other day the news had an account
of some one getting "cut off" so he pulled a gun and shot the
offending driver.

I suspect that it is an effect of the "Danger! Danger!" factor.
Bicycles are dangerous to ride and thus danger has to be seen to
happen.

Here, if you went down to the open market where the housewives on
their bicycles are buying the day's groceries and asked the first five
people you met if bicycles are dangerous, you'd get two "no's" and
three head shakes, as to say, "who is this loony".
--
cheers,

John B.