Old September 8th 17, 10:56 PM posted to gnu.emacs.help,rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default program to compute gears, with table

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I first did such a thing in the 1970s, using
Fortran.

Cool! Fortran (Formula Translation, 1957)
sounds like the perfect idea. Perhaps the
formating (output report) should be left to
COBOL tho (Common business-oriented
language, 1959).

Today I think the hipsters at the universities
would use Haskell (1990).

But I formatted it as a compact table in rows
and columns. You could have one row for each
chainring, one column for each rear cog.
A matrix, 2x8.

The idea with having it 8x3 was that the third
column would be the "roll out" and that would
be sorted vertically.

But perhaps I'll add a feature to flip
it later.

Another useful trick is to plot the gear
development on a logarithmic scale, so the
change from one gear to the next is scaled as
the percentage change. Plotting using
a separate row or a separate symbol for each
chainring makes clear which gear is "next" in
your gear progression.

Yes, I thought about doing that. Perhaps with
ASCII art or using gnuplot which I did some
cool plots with. Here is one:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/figur...e-inverted.png

--
underground experts united