Old November 9th 04, 04:08 PM
Bill Putnam

.... how thick is the leather on a brooks b17 typically? ...
i'm asking b/c i've ridden the b17 about 1000 miles and it is not soft
or indented at all. it's hard as a rock and the *exact* same shape as
it was new. so it's a mystery to me when people start talking about
their b17's "conforming to their sit bones" and being "supple." ...

***********************************
I have 3 of the B-17's
One measures .215" and the other 2 measure .190"
I love them.
Lewis.

I have 2 B-17's, 3 Pros, and a B72. All vary in thickness of the
leather. Each vary in how comfortable I find them to be. I had a
third B-17 that was towards the thick and hard end of the spectrum and
after extended attempts at breaking it in through riding finally gave
up and sold it, with a warning to the buyer of what my experience had
been with the saddle.

I bought my first Brooks B-17 from Andy Muzi 25 years ago, and it has
been in nearly daily use since then. It's showing some signs of age
but is the most comfortable saddle I own.

Every Brooks saddle is unique. Every person is unique. If you want
to ride a Brooks saddle I would suggest trying several and seeing if
one feels comfortable to you. In my experience if it isn't
comfortable when new it is less likely to be comfortable over time
with use. Others may have different experiences but that has been
mine.

Sheldon has a nice page on leather saddles at

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/leather.html

Bill Putnam