Old March 10th 10, 10:11 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Default Recumbent bikes, and trikes, in the Netherlands?

wrote:

Years ago when I went to Amsterdam, I was blown away by the large
number of cyclists. I wasn't a recumbent cyclist then, so I didn't
look for any recumbent cyclists.

Now, I'm a recumbent cyclist myself, so I'm curious about the
popularity of recumbent bi( or tri )kes in the Netherlands
(specifically Amsterdam?

They're a lot more common over there than in the UK. On a typical
day's ride there I've usually seen one or two others.

So that's one or two more than is likley in the UK, but several
hundred to several thousand (in Amsterdam) fewer than normal
uprights you'd see. The 'bents are rare enough that the pilots
usually give each other a "Hoi!" and a wave, which you wouldn't do
with other general cyclists: too many!

'Bents do have considerable disadvantages over a typical Dutch
roadster in a place like Amsterdam. Notably, they won't fit in so
well with high density cycle parking, and usually being without
enclosed brakes, gears and chain they'll suffer a bit more parked
out in the street through the winter. For folk that park them in
their hosues, they're relatively unwieldy to move by hand.

But you will see them about. Particularly around
http://www.ligfietswinkel.nl/ which is a good shop to try them out
from.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK