Old December 20th 15, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default O/T: knots

On 12/19/2015 8:25 PM, Jakob Krieger wrote:
- John B. / Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:49:53 +0100

Of course with plastic ropes and fixtures,
you don't need a knot any more for many things.

But for rescuing »man overboard« or joinig ropes
for more length, classical knots are still used.

What ropes would that be? The main halyard? About 80% wire rope? The
main sheet? Wire again, or the jib sheet... wire once again.

Well, it used to be considered as a good precaution to
have a roll of rope lying somewhere in the boat.
Even in cars, towing-ropes can be found.

May be except for GPS sailors, they don't know
what a knot or even a rope is.

Sort of snarky remark isn't it? After all big ships navigate with GPS,
airplanes navigate with GPS. It has been quite a number of years now
since anything commercial used the stars.

Nobody with a little bit of experience (bike or car drivers
included) relies on GPS only.

The snarky remark was meant about people who have
no orientation at all without GPS (can't even find
their own bathroom)

I'm just back from an almost-an-hour drive to attend a friend's party.

On my way there, the country highway to his house was unexpectedly
closed. I think it may have been due to a bad car crash, since it was
open on my way home, and there was no sign of construction work. Oh,
and there were no detour signs, which would have been normal for
construction work.

So I made my way by dead reckoning over very minor country lanes. I was
interested to note that I was navigating - or at least, confirming my
direction - by looking at the stars. First time in a long time!

--
- Frank Krygowski