Old December 30th 15, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jakob Krieger

Default O/T: knots

- John B. / Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:50:33 +0100

[sorry for late reply]

Nobody with a little bit of experience (bike or car drivers
included) relies on GPS only.

I see. Do you really think that the 1st officer on, say the Emma
Maersk" is out on the bridge wing every day taking his noon sight? Or
that a B-52 comes equipped with a sextant? Or that any modern
commercial or military vehicle comes with a copy of the six H.O.
tables?

I definitely know that at least one Apollo mission (13?)
did it's return by using a sextant after computers had no
more enrgy to work.

The U.S. navel Academy stopped teaching celestial navigation nearly 20
years ago stating that while celestial was accurate to a 3 mile radius
that GPS was accurate to a 60 ft. radius.

That's a fault.

If you don't know a fall-back at all when electronics strike,
you are not a navigator.

I begin to understand why MH370 drowned.

jk

--
no sig