Old September 2nd 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default 28 mph e-bikes

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 7:32:47 AM UTC-4, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Stephen Bauman wrote:
This link may explain the National Park Service's sudden interest in promoting 28 mph mopeds on nature trails.

https://electrek.co/2019/08/30/juice...ic-moped-bike/

Useless pedals. Replace with dead-man's switch on handlebar.

As I recall, the legal specs require that the motor can't be putting out power
unless the person pedals. The bikes that use power without pedaling are limited
to something like 19 miles per hour.

But I imagine there will be plenty of people hot-rodding these bikes. Supposedly
one can buy chips to do that already. Which is not a good development.

- Frank Krygowski