Old March 21st 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

Default Tire recommedations needed

On Mar 20, 8:52*pm, WhiteTea wrote:
I have a *' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

Thanks,
* * * * * * *Andy

Make sure you're looking at the right kind of 26 inch tire. A Raleigh
three speed with a tire marked "26 x 1 3/8" is _probably_ a 590mm rim
size. The more common 26 inch tires marked with decimal sizes like
"26x1.375" are 559mm rim size. Your choices in 590 are limited.

Some options:

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=2669
http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/c-68-650a.aspx

The Panaracer Col de la Vie will be a smooth comfortable tire if it's
anything like their Pasela. The Schwalbe Marathon will be more
puncture resistant at the cost of some weight and rolling resistance.

-pm