Old March 21st 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
WhiteTea

Default Tire recommedations needed

On Mar 21, 8:36*am, landotter wrote:
On Mar 21, 1:48*am, Hank Wirtz wrote:

On Mar 20, 11:02*pm, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:52 pm, WhiteTea wrote:

I have a *' 74 Raleigh 3-speed. I want some tires with more thread
than the typical Walmart brand.

There is quite of bit of extra room as far as a tires get close to
touching the fender.

I currently have a 26x1 and 3 eights, a shop said I could go to a
26x1.5 but I did not want to pay $35.00.

I had a flat about 5 miles from my house today, so I am looking for
ideas for reducing that.
(Sidewalks are favorite places for bone-heads to throw their beer
bottles.)

What ever you do, buy them fromhttp://www.biketiresdirect.com/!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ff8c4efae32b64

And DON'T get them from the shop who recommended a 26x1.5!

I second the plug for BTD...Excellent service and prices.

From what they stock, I'd recommend the Continental City Ride:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pcocr...de_tire/pp.htm

$19.95 each. Thick, smooth-rolling tread, and an anti-puncture layer.

That's the only 590 tire they stock, FWIW. It's fine, up there with
Kenda or Cheng Shin stuff of similar design--the puncture resistance
and durability dealt with via simple chunkiness.

However, if the OP's tires are in good shape, using a tire liner like
a Mr. Tuffy the cheapest way to resolve the problem. Some 700s from
Price point are $10/pr.

I will get the tire liner and install when I get the tires.

But going from 40 p.s.i. tires to 80 will make the ride a tad bit
rougher.

Does that mean the increased speed will minimize contact with the
sidewalk "mines" ? :-)

Andy