Old March 22nd 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bret

Default Mostly OT/Head Injury and Death

On Mar 21, 3:00*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

*Bret wrote:
On Mar 20, 9:45*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 20, 8:07*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:

" wrote:

When I whacked the side of my head in a CX race I also got a bunch of
gravel cuts (actually it was the second time I'd fallen on this short
loose descent). We had a friend who was an EMT at the race and she
cleaned up my cuts while making a lot of small talk with me, which
later I realized was also a subtle way of doing a mental/head-injury
evaluation.

Good call, that was probably exactly what he was doing. *"Who's the
President" is really not that great a question for assessing these
things. *Also, since problems can develop over time, he was probably
re-checking periodically.

She. *I don't remember if she actually re-evaluated me,
but since we were more or less in the same place over
the next couple of hours and I was capable of holding
a conversation with the rest of the hangers-on at the
scorers' tent, effectively yes.

I was once in that situation and was asked what day it was, *I
answered "They tell me it's Thursday". Apparently, I'd already been
asked that question and been corrected.

-- What day is it?
-- Four.

--
Michael Press

I did something like that once without the benefit of a head injury.
At the crucial moment of a very hard race I noticed that my front tire
was going soft. I waited until we crested the climb that we were on
and then I did what I had rehearsed in my mind, I raised my left hand.
That was supposed to produce a quick front wheel change (left hand for
front wheel, right hand for rear wheel) but instead the neutral
support guy jumped out of the the car and yelled, "Which wheel do you
need"? I responded "Left! ... I mean front"!

Bret