Old September 1st 04, 06:11 PM
the black rose

Bob in CT wrote:
It's my opinion that low fat is unhealthy. I ate low fat for years, and
all it did for me was give me insulin resistance. I switched to low
carb and increased my HDL (now over 40 for the first time ever,
regardless of how much exercise I did on low fat), decreased my
triglycerides, decreased my fasting blood glucose, and have a better
total cholesterol/HDL ratio. Plus, I feel so much better on low carb
than I did on low fat. My opinion is that low fat is a complete sham
and a lie.

It really depends on how low-fat you go. I tend to call my diet
low-fat, but it's not really by many definitions, and I focus more on
low sodium than low fat -- I get about 20% or so of my calories from
fat, and my skin is healthy and my hair can only be called lustrous.
I'm just really careful about added fats, I guess, and lately I've been
trying to avoid trans-fats in particular. I get 15-20% of my calories
from proteins, and the rest is healthy carbs: vegetables, whole grains,
and fruits. A recent cholesterol screening (only about a month ago)
recorded my HDL at 58; it's never, ever been that high before. The next
words out of her mouth after telling me that, the doc asked me, "You
exercise, don't you?"

I realize that diabetics and people with hyperinsulinemia have
challenges and concerns that someone with normal glucose response isn't
going to have. I fully understand that we're not on the same page,
diet-wise, and I'm glad LC works well for you.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie