Old November 11th 05, 01:15 PM
SriBikeJi

Default bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:00:36 GMT, SriBikeJi wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of my
car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the front brake
it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose - i.e. just a little
more and the wheel would have come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably
saved me.

[snip]

Or maybe the "lips" contributed to the accident. I have noticed that
the lips keep the wheel on even when they aren't adequately tightened.
That's the point of them. I don't think that's a good thing.

I think you would have noticed a problem if the "lips" had been filed
off. You would have arrived at your destination without your front
wheel. Or more likely, you would have noticed the problem when the
wheel feel off while you were loading the bike.

You're making unwarranted assumptions, to wit: that the QR was loose when
the bike was loaded, and it didn't happen from vibration from the road;
that the QR was fully undone while unloading, when it could have been just
partially undone and gone the rest of the way while riding; that thus the
wheel would in fact have fallen off without lawyer lips before he got on
the bike.

Jasper

I'm making some assumptions, but not unwarranted ones.