Old March 7th 17, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 8:39:57 PM UTC-8, Emanuel Berg wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

lock ring a good yank. With the serrations

Where are those, one the spacers
mentioned earlier?

I advise you not to listen to anyone else on this subject except Al Muzi.

You don't need a torque wrench but it's nice to have one and the adapter to work with your cassette key.

Otherwise tighten firm and not real tight. I think that the "crash" you're talking about is the serrations/semi-ratchet teeth on the inside of the lock ring. These are to keep the lock ring from backing off if it isn't tight enough.

The cassette should NOT rattle. If it does there is an incorrect spacer.

I assume that you know the difference between a freewheel and a freehub.

If you have a vernier caliper you can measure the spacers and let Muzi know and he can straighten things out.