Old May 28th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default ebikes: lots of bad ideas

On May 28, 5:58*pm, johns wrote:
Before I start building my ebike, I'm reading everything I can find
on what is available. So far, I'm learning more about what not to
get ..

1. Front wheel hub motors can generate enough torque
* * to break the front forks. So that company only
* * recommends rear-wheel hub motors.
2. Most hub motors .. no matter what their "power
* * rating" don't have enough torque to pull more than
* * a 4% grade.
3. Only gear motors ... even low power ones .. can
* * generate enough torque to pull an 8% grade.
4. ( another group ) .. Gear motors weigh about 35
* * to 40 pounds. WHAT ???????????
5. Regenerative braking is a joke. To recharge a
* * battery using RB, you would have to coast downhill
* * for 20 hours. Ordinarily, RB can return about 3% of
* * your charge.
6. Hub motors are unsprung weight. They cause a
* * very uncomfortable ride. The emotor should go up
* * between the pedals, and drive the chain.
7. Battery ratings are for flat terrain at about 10 mph.
* * In real life, they get about half their rated milage per
* * charge.
8. The average finished ebike will weigh more than 60
* * pounds.
9. Some of the ebike "kits" require machining of your
* * bikes parts in order to fit. They also require calibration
* * of the hub motor sensors in order to get the motor to
* * rotate in the proper direction. These operations can
* * void your kit warranty.
10. An ebike can save you $20,000.00 over 3 years,
* * *so it is worth the $14,000.00 they are asking for it.

Sounds to me like the ebike has a ways to go.

johns

No wonder I've never seen one.

Joseph