Old February 7th 18, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 06:38:29 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 2/6/2018 8:48 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Notice that his version:
https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Li-ion-2200mAh-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B002Y2LJW0/
is series connected, but claims only 2200ma-hr. Kinda looks like the
same cells, but wired differently. Looks like the one you purchased
might be lying about the battery capacity. You'll find out soon
enough if the battery is discharged faster than expected.

Tenergy has several different 18650 cells at different capacities.

Yes, that's possible.

I guess I should have gotten these 9800maH 18650 cells:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/8-pcs-Universal-18650-3-7V-9800-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Batteries-Tip-Main-Batery-Cell-For-Flashlight-Torch-Camera/866646151.
9800mAH and only $1 each. But I'm waiting for the new 10,000 mAH cells.

I have some Belchfire brand 5800 ma-hr cells that cost me about $1 on
eBay. At 1.5A, they deliver 890 ma-hr.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/battery-tests/18650.jpg
My theory is that the actual capacity is inversely proportional to the
advertised capacity.

No need to wait for 10K LiIon cells. By merely misusing an existing
overpriced product:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2847/.f
you can reduce or eliminate the losses from cell contact resistance
sufficiently to deliver a 10K LiIon cell. Only $150/7.4mL. It should
have about the same performance improvement as soldering the battery
contact spring in a LiIon flashlight, but without the bother of
learning how to solder properly:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=flashlight+solder+spring&oq=flas hlight+solder+spring
Admittedly, such performance enhancements are most useful for high
power lighting, but if only 10% of the bicycle lighting sales
predictions are credible, we will soon be riding around with megalumen
headlights.

I'm anxiously waiting for a copper or brass bicycle light (to further
reduce resistive losses in the aluminum package):
https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+flashlight&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=brass+flashlight&tbm=isch
After those, we can try a silver plated bicycle light.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D