Old March 8th 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default More About Lights

On 07/03/17 18:58, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 5:11:29 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 3/6/2017 9:37 PM, sms wrote:

This light http://supernova-lights.com/en/supernova-e3-triple-2
claims 640 lumens at 4.5W. 4.5W is definitely possible from a
nominal 3W dynamo. It claims 800 lumens peak.

Note that his light, while sold in Germany, is not "road legal."
because, according to reviews, it doesn't suffer the problems of
StVZO lights, "It has a very broad light output that is closer to
a floodlight than a focused beam, and so doesn’t give the
‘tunnel’ effect of some of the powerful battery-powered lights.
This means it’s great for illuminating branches and hazards above
you and off to the side." As we all know, the problem with StVZO
legal lights are related to the extremely focused spot beam.

Here's an example of an StVZO headlamp (2013 model) with the
"extremely focused spot beam" the Scharf complains about.
http://peterwhitecycles.com/images/p...lux-II-800.jpg

See that tiny spot? ;-)

That is the headlight I use and it looks exactly the same on a pitch
dark street. So again I don't understand why people find this amount
of light insufficient.

But when you're riding home through the local forest MTB paths, and it's
snowing and there are overhanging branches and a Joerg or SMS comes the
other way with a blinding 1200lm torch beam.....

You might not see that salmon swimming across the path!

--
JS