Old September 22nd 18, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Continental Ultra Sport tires

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:05:17 -0400,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/21/2018 2:40 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:40:46 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:

Any suggestions are welcome.

What's your rim strip? I was a long-time Velox user until
just this summer when I switched over to FSA rim strips which
are much thinner. They make more room for the beads of the
tires, rsulting in easier installation and easier seating,
especially with the tighter beads on foldable tires.

Interesting question. The (Ritchey) wheels came with a yellow
plastic rim strip, and a year or so ago I replaced it with basic
Velox. I'm not sure I got the right width, but in any case it
seems to ride just a bit high on the edges. I can see how this
might be a contributor.

I still use 1/2" adhesive tape on a lot of rims. I started
doing it the factory original rim tape caused three flats in
one day during a bike tour, and adhesive tape was the only
thing available. But it worked so well that I've used it many
times since. It is thin, and surprisingly strong.

Interesting thought. I'll file this one away for consideration
in the future.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA