Old September 11th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default Fork survived, head tube didn't!

Jambo wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
Jambo wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
t...
still me wrote:
Bottom line - I've never seen a steel frame do that, no matter what
the crash conditions.
it won't - it'll plastically deform and do so at a lower stress level.
Yeah, because "for a 6061 with E = 69GPa, and 275MPa yield, that gives an
elastic
deformation limit of 0.275/69 x 100% = 0.04%."

CF still sucks.
no it doesn't - on a specific modulus basis, it's about the best
material out there right now.
Yeah, because "for a 6061 with E = 69GPa, and 275MPa yield, that gives an
elastic
deformation limit of 0.275/69 x 100% = 0.04%."

i don't understand the problem people have with a superior [stronger]
material - just because the deformation mechanism is different. stronger
is better. lighter is better. more fatigue resistant is better.
carbon is impressive on all three counts.
Yeah, because "for a 6061 with E = 69GPa, and 275MPa yield, that gives an
elastic
deformation limit of 0.275/69 x 100% = 0.04%."

if you want to make meat out of that typo mr. modulus, try omitting the
formula - because that gives the correct answer. moron.

Really? You get 0.04% instead of 0.4%? And then you base your whole
"brittle" argument on your mistaken arithmetic?

we were being quoted plastic elongation numbers and being asked to
compare with elastic elongation in an apples to oranges scenario. i
point out in an apples to apples comparison, that the elastic distortion
range of aluminum [at 0.4% or even 0.04%] is still way less than 1.5%
for carbon. sure, i made a typo, but the science was right and the
conclusion was right.

" 1. peter cole doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.
2. he's attempting to deceive."

HAHAHAHA! ****tard idiot!

and what do we have from you? gross scientific error, compounded by
further gross scientific error after what should have been a period in
which corrective research could have been conducted, all spiced up with
lies and lunatic moon howlings!

conclusion? you need to see a doctor. i doubt he'll be able to do much
for your i.q., but he might be able to stabilize your behavioral
episodes, once the kind gentlemen in the white coats release you from
the padded cell.