Old June 11th 08, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Default Why aren't disabled cyclists treated the same as disabled motorists?

Ekul Namsob wrote:

JNugent wrote:

But why would a *disabled* person want a VAT-free *bicycle* when they
could get a car for almost nothing?

The last time I checked, the running costs of a bicycle were
significantly less than the running costs of a car.

Yes, but there's the question of the disabled person being fit enough to
ride a bicycle, which is more physically demanding than sitting at the
wheel of a car. I would expect that the Motability scheme would require
a significant level of disability before free cars were handed out, and
there is obvious scope for tension between the competing requirements
for being classified as "disabled" and for being fit to ride a bike.

Of course, some disabilities may not have much outward sign.