Old October 25th 16, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Vitus 979: Removing Cranks and Bottom Bracket?

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 3:18:59 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/24/2016 4:51 PM, wrote:
The cranks have "Shimano 600" printed on them.

-- Will a universal crank puller like the ones sold for a few dollars on eBay work? Or do I need a Shimano crank puller like this:
http://www.ebay..com/itm/Sealey-BC02...AOSwAuZX1vx s ? Or do I need something else?

-- The Vitus has a cup and cone crank. Can I put new bearings in? If so what are the important specs on the bearing to search for them on eBay? Or how does one proceed with a rebuild of the bottom bracket?

Thank you for any help. I bought this bike in 1987 brand new. I have not ridden this too much in the last ten years but am now enjoying it regularly again. It's a little creaky at the bottom bracket, and I would at least like to inspect down there, if it's at all possible.

Any standard 22mm crank remover, cheap at any LBS.

A 1987 600 double spindle is 113mm symmetric if I recall but
you could certainly measure it. If it's the original part,
Shimano stamped the dimensions on spindles in that era.

Symmetric cartridge BB sets are plentiful and cheap.
Asymmetric less so.

Andrew, what 1/4" loose bearings do you use -- grade and material? He says its a loose ball BB. I don't think the 1987 600 EX used cartridge bearings, but he certainly could use a UN-whatever (91?) if he wanted.

-- Jay Beattie