Old September 7th 19, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On 2019-09-06 15:42, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/6/2019 5:30 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for
narrow tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve.
Couldn't believe it. Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ...
well, it is what it is.

I don't want to wait for some fancy adapter but I do not
mind making just about anything in the garage with hand
tools. My special thick tubes have Presta valves.

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in
place? Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

In our experience it doesn't matter with any but the very
lightest/thinnest brands/models of tube. Your PV tubes have an ultra
thick base. Just drop it through and don't worry.

Good! Those "Don't do anything and just drop it in" solutions are my
favorite ones :-)

Also, I am using thorn-resistant thick tubes which are much sturdier
than regular fare. Yesterday a riding buddy had two flats from goat's
head thorns within 36mi so I got home late for dinner. I didn't have any
flat in ... heck, I can't even remember which year that was.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/