Old October 2nd 18, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 7:09:13 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, " wrote:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/magicshine-l...2018-interbike

JFTR, that's not an actual review, it's "sponsored content."

A max actual output of 6500 lumens is cranked out by 3x CREE XHP 50.2
and 2x XM-L2 LEDs. Like the Eagle series MTB headlights, Monteer 6500
is designed with multiple beam patterns modes, the XHP50.2 will put
out a max of 5000 lumens of flood light, while the bottom row of XM-L2s
shoots into the distance with up to 1500 lumens."

Only $350.
https://magicshine.us/product/monteer-6500-mtb-headlight/
"Six cell battery pack uses super high capacity 18650 cells
for a 10500 mAh total."

Ok, let's do the math.

[tech calculations snipped]

In my never humble opinion, the specs are quite real, but I have my
doubts about the ability the aluminum heat sink to remove the heat
produced. It's going to get very hot running at full power.

Even on full power, the rather primitive
http://www.magicshine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/MONTEER-6500-r-13-1.jpg
20 & 30 degrees beam delivers only half the 55,000 cd punch of the similar
looking Lupine Alpha, the latter being three times as expensive, though.
Nowhere close to an airliner landing beam's candlepower, of course, in
contrast to what is purported by Francis Cashedo's marketing hyperbole.

I bet it even meets or exceeds that German bicycle light standard.

And I doubt it would even meet the optical part of the simpler high-beam
standard.

Probably true because StVZO only sets the minimum requirements.
However if the spec has a maximum output, so as not to blind oncoming
traffic, it would probably fail. There was a proposal to limit
brigtness to 2.0 lux at 10 meters at eye level to reduce blinding
oncoming drivers and riders, but I don't know if that was added.

Decades ago, due to the introduction of those crazy bright, 36 lm, 2.4 W
halogen bulbs. The previous limit was 0.7 lx.

A bit of StVZO analysis:

https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting_analyse/verkeersregels/de_stvzo/index_en.html

No offense, but I'd characterize that as some facts and analysis, more
unrestrained interpretation and speculation, swamped in a stream of
consciousness, muddled by a lack of legal logic, trilingual challenges,
unfamiliarity with technical concepts and comparable automotive standards.
Worst of all, it's unlikely to get better by adding yet another source of
information or correction.

StVZO are job-killing regulations. Markets should be allowed to regulate light output. Die globalists, die!
https://www.brooksengland.com/media/...1638b377e8.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.