Old April 29th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

Default Elmer's Rubber Cement is not the vulcanizing kind!

On 27 Apr, 04:46, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Apr 26, 6:55*pm, wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
Remove a well adhered patch. *You will see no indication of chemical
bond formation.

I find a well adhered patch not removable without heating. *Heating
affects the REMA patch orange rubber more than the tube rubber so they
separate with careful pulling. *I have not cared what remains on the
contact surface (it looks clean to me) before applying a new patch and
allowing it to cure.

I have also removed quite a few patches using a suitable solvent -
toluene and xylene are two that work.
The hard part seems to be getting a patch *edge lifted to gain acces
to the tube/patch interface. Once that is accomplished the rest is
easy using a slow "peeling" technique in conjunction with more solvent
(think "cotton swab"). Even well adhered patches will come off clean
leaving *no sign that there was ever a patch adhered/bonded *there.

Everyone seems to agree on that last detail.

I cannot support this for I have had no desire to remove a well
adhered patch. Why?