Old January 4th 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-04 08:12, David Scheidt wrote:
Joerg wrote:
:On 2017-01-04 00:01, Dennis Davis wrote:
: In article ,
: Joerg wrote:
: Gentlemen,
:
: Is there something stronger than the usual rubber cement in the
: patch kits? Ideally something that won't dry out so fast or where
: multiple cheap small tubes are available.
:
: The reason is that I sometimes have larger holes from side wall
: blow-outs. Not inch-long gashes but one or two tenths of an
: inch long. The tubes I use are super thick and, therefore,
: expensive. $15-20 each and that's not something to be thrown
: out lightly. Instead of the li'l REMA patches I need to use
: thicker rubber from an older sacrified tube but this has to be
: vulcanized/cemented really well.
:
: The small REMA patches are some 15mm in diameter. Larger sizes
: exist. I believe the next size up is 25mm in diameter and the oval
: REMA patches are available. An ebay search should throw up what's
: available by mail order.
:
: Same for the the REMA rubber cement. It comes in different size
: tubes, including the small ones you mention. Again an Internet
: search should show what's available.
:
: I don't usually have problems using REMA patches & glue. However
: puncture repairing technique can be as contentious as chain cleaning
: and lubrication advice. I'm going to keep my head down :-)
:

:I have used the big oblong REMAs as well and that's the ones thah failed
:the most on sidewalls. They are rather thin.

Use a tire patch or boot, not one for an inner tube. Totally
different problems, totally different solutions.

I meant for fixing the tube at the location where the side wall blew. I
never attempt to repair the tire because when a side wall went it's
toast. Usually several strands of material are shredded afterwards.

The worst one was a literal explosion in the wilderness but that left an
unfixable huge hole in the tube. It also triggered a micro-stampede of
five cows.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/