Old January 16th 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-16 10:43, David Scheidt wrote:
Joerg wrote:

:Yup. Standard bicycle tubes are usually junk. Would you accept
it if you :had to pump up the tires of your car every two weeks?
Yet most cyclists :think this is "normal".

Automotive tires have a much lower ratio of surface area to
volume than bike tires. They're also run a lower pressure, for
the most part.

Truck tires are often operated around 50psi or higher. Like my MTB
tires are.

A truck tire weights as a much as TWO UCI minimum race bikes -- or
one DH bike. Now throw in the rim. You have peculiar expectations for
bicycles. You're theoretically perfect bike would weigh about
250lbs.

One has to keep in mind the proportionality. A bicycle tire that
features a 3-ply side wall with 3mm thickness instead of the usual
paper-thin single-ply does not weigh 20 lbs.

The same goes for tubes. Everyone told me that bicycle tubes just can't
be as thick as those for motorcycles. Well, mine are. They do weigh over
a pound each for the MTB but that weight increase has proven to be well
worth it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/