Old July 17th 03, 02:53 PM
Zelda

Default Steering (was Braking Technique)

Since you compare bicycles to motorcycles, I have a different
question:

I used to ride motorcycles, and tried amateur roadracing for a couple
of years. Last year, when I bought my first-ever good quality road
bicycle, I asked the staff at the bike shop if you use countersteering
to go around fast corners on a bicycle, as you do on a motorcycle
(pushing the handlebar away from you). They didn't know what I was
talking about.

So, do you use countersteering on a road bicycle?

Thanks,
Zelda

"S. Anderson" wrote in message ...
(snip)
Incidentally, I hit the racetrack every now and again with my motorcycle and
I NEVER touch the rear brake when at the track. However, if you watch the
good guys, you can see them sliding the rear tire into corners using the
rear brake and engine braking. These guys are able to decode the input from
the bike to do those things. I'm simply overwhelmed with all the stuff
going on and cannot do the stuff they do. So your idea of front-brake only
may be analogous to my motorcycle situation..if you can't reliably operate
the rear brake during max braking so that the rear wheel doesn't skid,
you're probably better off using the front only.

Cheers,

Scott..